The field of data science is flexible and adaptable, making it a path that will remain relevant regardless of industry or circumstance. Given the COVID-19 crisis, many individuals are questioning their ability to find a new position, however, there are still many companies looking to hire a data scientist right now.
[Related article: Companies Hiring Data Scientists: Summer 2020]
Companies Hiring Data Scientists
There’s a wide range of industries hiring data scientists right now. It shouldn’t be a surprise that health insurance and biopharmaceutical companies are looking to ramp up their workforce to cope with this new dynamic. Tech giants are always looking to innovate, and are therefore still hiring in troves. While some retail stores have hit a slump, some are excelling. Companies like Target are thriving as they sell food and other essential items, and computer giants like Staples are still hiring to help people with their work from home needs.
Here’s a look at a few companies hiring data scientists summer 2020:
Technology: CGI Group, Apeiro Technologies, Apple, Spotify, Twitter, IBM
Finance: Discover, Capital One
Healthcare & Insurance: Cenpatico, Humana, Libert Mutual
Available Data Science Jobs
Here are a few active job opportunities that you can apply for now. Please note that these jobs may close at any time, so apply quickly! The salary figures are estimates and are not guaranteed.
Quantum Data Scientist (Industrial-Process sector) – IBM | $78k – $125k
Staff Machine Learning Engineer, Health ML – Twitter | ~$115k – $164k
Data Scientist, Analytics, WhatsApp Privacy – WhatsApp Inc | $148k – $159k
Lead Data Scientist, Customer Journey Product – Cimpress/Vistaprint | $117k – $186k
Sr. Manager, Data Science – Slack | $144k – $158k
Senior / Data Scientist, Ads and Messaging R&D – Spotify | $121k – $182k
Manager, Data Science (Machine Learning) – Uber | $170k – $180k
Data&AI Cloud Solution Architect – Microsoft | $91k – $198k
We update our jobs board frequently with other companies hiring data scientists during COVID-19 – be sure to follow jobs.opendatascience.com for more data science jobs!
Attend the ODSC AI Plus Career Lab this July 28th
During this free career-focused event, the AI Plus Career Lab, you’ll learn everything you need to know to push your career in data science to the next level. Get advice on managing your teams, how to highlight specific experience and projects, and more.
Here are some talks that you’ll be able to watch:
- Hugo Bowne-Anderson, PhD | Data Scientist at DataCamp – “Data Scientist, or the Most Dangerous Job of the 21st Century”
- Juan Manuel Contreras, PhD | Data Science Manager at Uber – “How to Lead Data Science Teams: The 3 D’s of Data Science Leadership”
- Wendy Chih-wen Kan | Data Scientist at Kaggle – “How to build business impact and value as a data scientist”
- Patrick Prothro | Data Scientist / Senior Analytics Engineer at Netflix – “Ok…now what do I do? (How to navigate the Data Science field as a new employee)”
- Ashley Odom | Principal Data Scientist at 1nformatics – “How to be a data science consultant”
- Sheamus McGovern | Founder and CEO of ODSC – Resume Guidance Presentation
- Plus talks from David Meza, Senior Data Scientist at NASA | Aleksandar Tomic, PhD Associate Dean at Boston College | Dan Wulin, PhD, Head of Data Science & Machine Learning at Wayfair | and more to come!
Ready to advance your career in data science? Sign up for the free AI Plus Career Lab event this July 28th!