Presenter: Angela Bassa, Director of Data Science at iRobot Title: Corporate Data Science Level: All, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Type: Premium Training,...
Corporate Data Science – Angela Bassa
ConferencesDataOpsTools & LanguagesODSC East 2017posted by ODSC Team November 16, 2017 ODSC Team
Presenter: Angela Bassa, Director of Data Science at iRobot
Title: Corporate Data Science
Level: All, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced,
Type: Premium Training, Non-technical
Length: 47 minutes
Overview: In this talk, Angela Bassa discusses strategies of building and maintaining successful data science teams in a corporate setting. Bassa focuses on common mistakes and errors that companies making when setting out to build data science teams
- Teach how to deliver creative and novel solutions.
- Dispel myths such as “Unicorns” and “Super-chickens” that hurt companies and their data science teams.
- Help those working in the industry who want to achieve a better ROI from data science, especially those in charge of hiring data professionals.
Introduction and Overview 0:00 – 2:00
Data Science-ing In Industry 2:47 – 11:14
- The commercial spectrum
- Bespoke questions <-> Production software
- Where does data science fit?
- Pigeonholing Unicorns
- Blended Objectives
Building Effective Data Science Teams 11:14 – 26:36
- Unicorns Don’t Really Exist. You want to have a well balanced team.
- Dynasties and Intellectual Inbreeding
- Mirror-tocracies & Survivorship Bias
- Building a Large Reality
- There’s More Than One Way to Skin a Cat
- Mistakes Might Have Been Made
- Common Blind Spots
- Multiple-Objective Decision Analysis
- How To Interview For The Best Intersections
Proper Care and Maintenance of Data Teams 26:36 – 37:47
- You Have an Awesome Team in Place, Now What?!
- Data Team’s Responsibilities
- Why Do You Have To Care?
- “Any sufficiently advanced negligence is indistinguishable from malice.” – Deb Chachra
- It’s Not That No One Cares
- When Should You Start
- What You Expect
- What Actually Exists: A System Optimized For Not-Analysis
- How to Care
- Documentation is How You “Program” A Business
- What Should You Document
- What Will You Want to Know About the Data?
- Having Junior Team Members is a Great Forcing Function!
Q&A Portion 37:47 – 47:08