Big Data Engineer
Vacancy Title: Big Data Engineer
Business Unit: Insights & Data Global Practice
Working Pattern: Full time
Who you’ll be working with
The Big Data Analytics team is part of the Insights and Data Global Practice and has seen strong growth and continued success across a variety of projects and sectors. We continue to grow and need to add to our talented team with other, experienced, Big Data Analytics SME’s. If you are keen on working on some truly cutting edge programmes, learning new technologies and techniques and joining a team with like minded big data architects, engineers and analysts, then click the link below and apply now.
The focus of your role
We are looking to bring in a wide range of experience and expertise across grades. If you join us, you would be involved with the full life cycle of designing and delivering modern analytical data solutions, using a wide range of Open Source and COTS products.
What you’ll do
Our projects are varied, sometimes you may be asked to help define a client’s data transformation roadmap, other times you may be rolling your sleeves up and creating some innovative solution for a complex problem. We very much try to encourage a ‘leave your grade at the door’ mentality so everyone feels comfortable contributing to our innovation. We also have a great sense of community, we encourage sharing of ideas, we sponsor Meet-ups for your peers and have a large calendar of social events throughout the year.
What you’ll bring
Will be dependent upon the grade, but if you can demonstrate some or all of these characteristics then we’d really like to talk to you –
- Strong software engineering/development background (in Java or C#).
- Experience of leading small engineering teams preferable.
- Data manipulation (XML processing, customised ETL solutions) and data merging experience
- Experience of engineering solutions to cope with Big (volume) and Fast (real/near real time) requirements
- Experience developing, interfacing or designing data centric applications.
- Experience of middleware integration applications, either commercial (i.e. Mulesoft) or Open Source
- Experience of DevOps type operations – use of source control (GitHub, Stash), Build tools (Puppet, Jenkins, etc), continuous integration, test driven development
- Great communicator
- Any Experience of:
- Hadoop ecosystem (Cloudera, Hortonworks, IBM)
- Hadoop administration, set up , security and tuning
- Data ingestion
- Kafka, Flume, Spark
- SQL on Hadoop tools
- Pivotal Big Data Suite, specifically Hawq and Greenplum
- ETL tools like Pentaho, Informatica BDE, Talend
- NoSQL and other databases like MongoDB, Cassandra, Neo4J
- Hadoop ecosystem (Cloudera, Hortonworks, IBM)
- Experience of administering MPP’s databases in a DBA capacity
- BSc/MSc/Phd in Engineering/CS, Sciences or Mathematics. Alternatively a proven track record of delivering complex or cutting edge solutions within the IT industry.
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to work with clients to establish requirements in non technical language.
- Able to translate business requirements into plausible technical solutions for articulation to other development staff.
- The ability to deliver persuasive presentations at both a technical and a problem space level is essential.
Location: Whilst you may have any of our UK offices as a base location, you must be fully flexible in terms of assignment location, as these roles may involve periods of time away from home during the week at short notice.
What we’ll offer you
Professional development. Accelerated career progression. An environment that encourages entrepreneurial spirit. It’s all on offer at Capgemini. And although collaboration is at the core of the way we work, we also recognise individual needs with a flexible benefits package you can tailor to suit you.
Why we’re different
At Capgemini, we help organisations across the world become more agile, more competitive and more successful. Smart, tailored, often-groundbreaking technical solutions to complex problems are the norm. But so, too, is a culture that’s as collaborative as it is forward thinking. Working closely with each other, and with our clients, we get under the skin of businesses and to the heart of their goals. You will too.
Capgemini positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief, marital status, or pregnancy and maternity. We are committed to hiring, developing and retaining the best people to deliver innovative, world-class solutions for our clients. We foster an inclusive culture that enables everyone to achieve their full potential and enjoy a fulfilling career with us. Our comprehensive flexible benefits package and lifestyle policies enable our employees to balance their individual, family and work-life needs.