Amgen is seeking a Principal Engineer of Data Science to be based out of our Thousand Oaks, CA global headquarters or our office in Cambridge, MA, and who will report to the Executive Director of Process Development (Digital Integration and Predictive Technologies).
The Principal Engineer of Data Science will take his/her passion for data analytics, and artificial intelligence (AI) technologies including Machine Learning, Natural Language Processing (NLP), statistical modeling / pattern recognition, computer vision, Augmented Intelligence, Augmented and Virtual Reality, and data modeling / visualization technologies to join our team to lead the newly formed Cognitive Computing group. The incumbent will be asked to further develop the group based on the business needs and will be given opportunities to apply their expertise to enhance the way data are used to inform and make decisions at Amgen especially using AI technologies.
Functionally, the Principal Engineer of Data Science will be engaged in the integration of data and information management systems with various operations groups at Amgen sites as well as corporate functions. Working on advancing digital transformation programs in the area of cognitive computing, the Incumbent’s responsibilities include understanding and influencing the regulatory landscape in data science and cognitive computing within the biopharmaceutical industry.
Amgen’s Digital Integration and Predictive Technologies organization is a global Process Development function that develops and deploys advanced computational technologies in: 1) data capture, integration, management and predictive analytics, 2) empirical and first principles modeling towards improved process understanding and robustness, 3) monitoring, control, prediction and optimization of manufacturing, and 4) advanced sensors and automatic model predictive control.
Responsibilities of the Principal Engineer of Data Science include:
- Advances the use and utility of NLP including but not limited to Watson Explorer Content Analytics technology in Process Development and in broader Operations areas
- Develops, enhances, automates, and manages analytics models across Process Development and Operations where applicable
- Creates cognitive applications with dynamic visualizations to aid in data interpretation and usage towards automating manual data management tasks human scientist otherwise need to perform
- Identifies and applies Machine Learning methods and tools into business needs
- Works with Process Development scientists and engineers to implement cognitive computing technologies towards reducing wet experiments, increasing data driven insights and improving efficiencies and agility
- Leads proof-of-concept technology development in an agile environment to quickly identify new solutions and collaborate internal and external groups (including managing university collaborations) in technology landscape exploration to meet business needs
Doctorate degree and 2 years of Data Science and/or Machine Learning and/or Artificial Intelligence experience OR Master’s degree and 6 years of Data Science and/or Machine Learning and/or Artificial Intelligence experience OR Bachelor’s degree and 8 years of Data Science and/or Machine Learning and/or Artificial Intelligence experience OR Associate’s degree and 10 years of Data Science and/or Machine Learning and/or Artificial Intelligence experience OR High school diploma / GED and 12 years of Data Science and/or Machine Learning and/or Artificial Intelligence experience
- 8+ years’ experience in Data Science and/or Machine Learning and/or Artificial Intelligence experience
- 4+ years industry experience in the Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical, or other Healthcare-related field
- Proven record of implementing Project Management tools, methodologies, practices and infrastructure, as related to the Biopharmaceutical Industry
- Informed with current biopharmaceutical industry knowledge, news and trends and ability to apply to programs
- Independent, motivated, team member with experience in a matrix environment
Amgen is committed to unlocking the potential of biology for patients suffering from serious illnesses by discovering, developing, manufacturing and delivering innovative human therapeutics. This approach begins by using tools like advanced human genetics to unravel the complexities of disease and understand the fundamentals of human biology.
Amgen focuses on areas of high unmet medical need and leverages its expertise to strive for solutions that improve health outcomes and dramatically improve people’s lives. A biotechnology pioneer since 1980, Amgen has grown to be one of the world’s leading independent biotechnology companies, has reached millions of patients around the world and is developing a pipeline of medicines with breakaway potential.
Amgen is an Equal Opportunity employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
To apply for this job please visit careers.amgen.com.