Notice: Undefined variable: category in /home/odsc1733/public_html/opendatascience.com/wp-content/themes/goliath/theme/templates/title-legend.php on line 30
Notice: Trying to get property of non-object in /home/odsc1733/public_html/opendatascience.com/wp-content/themes/goliath/theme/templates/title-legend.php on line 30
posted by firstname.lastname@example.org October 31, 2018
AncestryDNA is seeking a motivated and talented computer scientist with interest and experience developing computational algorithms to analyze genomic data to infer and characterize shared ancestry and relationships. As a member of the DNA Science team you will be working on cutting edge genomic research that will translate into products experienced by millions of customers. You will regularly work with and learn from the talented members of our multi-disciplinary team of population geneticists, statisticians, computer scientists, and computational biologists to analyze billions of genealogical and genetic records. You will have the challenging role of developing scalable computational approaches to help millions of customers sharing billions of connections understand more about themselves and their family history.
What you will do
- Develop high-performance, scalable computational methods to analyze genomic data to better infer ancestry and shared relationships
- Apply data mining, statistics, and/or machine learning when appropriate to refine and improve methods
- Collaborate with other scientists and departments to leverage different expertise to build better products
- Breakdown and execute high level project goals with small project focused teams
- Lead and mentor teams of scientists
- The successful candidate for the position will have a PhD in computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, biostatistics, mathematics, statistics, statistical genetics, population genetics, or a related field.
- Must have experience using or developing high-performance, scalable computational methods to analyze genomic data. Hands-on experience working with very large genomic datasets is ideal.
- Proficiency in programming and can implement or validate new approaches efficiently. Experience in Python, C/C++, or Java is desired.
- Minimum 2 years of work experience as an independent scientist is desired.
- Working knowledge of statistical or machine learning approaches. Experience analyzing genomic or population data is a plus, for example:
- Knowledge of supervised techniques for classification and assignment or unsupervised learning/clustering techniques, or
- Knowledge of sequence modeling algorithms (e.g., Markov models, probabilistic context-free grammars), sampling techniques, and expectation-maximization.
- Experience with distributed computing and big data analysis (e.g., tens of billions of records) is a plus.
- Experience could include HPC, Hadoop and/or Spark.
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills will be needed in our collaborative and fast-paced team.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Exposure to leading and mentoring teams of junior scientists is a plus.
Genomic Data Scientist, Bioinformatician
Helping people discover their story is at the heart of ours. Ancestry is the largest provider of family history and personal DNA testing, harnessing a powerful combination of information, science and technology to help people discover their family history and stories that were never possible before. Ancestry’s suite of products includes: AncestryDNA, AncestryProGenealogists, Fold3, Newspapers.com, Find a Grave, Archives.com, and Rootsweb.
We offer excellent benefits and a competitive compensation package. For additional information, regarding our benefits and career information, please visit our website at http://ancestry.com/careers.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.smartrecruiters.com.