In a blog post, Microsoft announced a new AI-powered music creation feature in its Copilot program. This new feature is thanks to a partnership with Suno, it brings the ability to create music to users regardless of musical capabilities.
According to the post, by using a simple prompt, users will be able to “create fun, clever, and personalized songs.” One thing that Microsoft looks to be doing is simplifying the process of music creation through the use of AI, so the bar of skill requirements is as low as possible to cast the widest net possible for users.
However, it should be interesting to see how creative prompt engineering may show how far users could go with this new feature. In the blog post, Microsoft claims that “Copilot and Suno will do all the hard work for you, matching the song to cues in your prompt.”
AI empowering aspiring musicians as well as helping established musicians isn’t really new. Last year, DJ David Guetta stated that AI would become critical to the future of music. And over the decades, technology has slowly been integrated into the creative process in multiple genres.
Microsoft’s partnership with Suno is another example of how AI is reshaping the arts. If you’re interested in creating music with AI through Microsoft’s Copilot, the team outlines a simple set of steps for users to follow so they can get the most out of their music creation experience:
- Open Microsoft Edge, visit copilot.microsoft.com, and ensure you’re signed in with your Microsoft Account
- Enable the Suno plugin or click on the Suno logo that says, “Make music with Suno”
- Ask Copilot to create a song for you such as, “Create a pop song about adventures with your family”
- Jam along to your new tune
- Share on social or with your friends and colleagues